Amber Road

Monday, February 20, 2012

Virginia-Part 2

My Chorus Teacher Mrs.Holland


Schools

The students are very welcoming to newcomers. So nice that even one of my peers stood up for me on the first day of school in 8th grade (middle school). From what I can remember it was a hot day Newport News. I was sweating in gym class. We were playing baseball outside and it was my turn up to bat. I hit the ball and starting running into 1st base. As I was running, I notice that another student (girl) started laughing at how I was running. I kept my feelings inside until we reach the girls locker room. I was so upset that I started to cry. Three other girls notice and asked what happen. When I told them, one of the girls walk straight up to that girl and starting demanding that she apologize. She said that it was no way to treat a new student on her first day. Needless to say, the other girl apology and I never had trouble from her or the other girls at school. I was very grateful. Let me tell you. No middle school has EVER been very welcoming to new students nor anti bulling. In fact, most of the bulling start in middle school. So, this is very rare to find a school like this.
Later on in I learn that it only got better. I learned that our high school was the only PUBLIC school that I can recall that prayed before an assembly. That is pretty amazing from a huge high school. I had 522 students just in my graduation class. That not counting all the other 9th, 11th, or 12th graders. My high school had it's own food court. Quite literally. We had to have 3 different periods (lunch times) so the school can accumulate all the students. Every day you would walk into the lunch room and pick what you would like to eat for lunch. The lunch room is set up just like a food court in a mall. You could chose to eat pizza and fries (actually there were two different section of pizza and fries..It was quite popular..I couldn't image why..), subs and chips, tacos, salad bar and of course the other choice of food that was offer daily on regular public school menus.
I started chorus again in 9th grade and make All Woman's Selection Ensemble by 10th grade. Our chorus was quite popular. We won State and Regional Championships. Came in 1st and 2nd. Our championships were held in Myrtle Beach, SC. This was my first time EVER staying 4 nights at a hotel out of state by myself (not with any family members). I did manage to sneak away with my Great Aunt and Uncle. Apparently they lived in the area and when they found out that I was coming up, they stopped by. They took me out to eat to this famous restaurant and conventionly forgot to tell me how HUGE the cheeseburgers were. I order one and it was ONE pound of beef on ONE patty. So, I order it and couldn't eat it all. I got picked one because I couldn't finish it, but was eyeing the chocolate cake on the shelf. Hey, A girl has to have her chocolate right?!?!



Let me introduce you to Laura
I meet my best friend Laura in 8th grade. Her last name was SN and our English teacher decided to put us in alphabetical order by last name. She quickly realized her mistake. You see, my friend Laura is a talker and couldn't stop us from talking. She end up moving us to opposite sides of the room. Ah, but that didn't stop us. We got a notebook. This was our top secret chatty notebook. We went through 3 notebooks. We even would spice it up with stickers. :D What made us such good friends you ask? She was in couple of my classes, rode my bus, and lived one block from my house. I learned later that she was a great loyal and trustworthy friend. She was always honest and was always there for me when I needed her.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Love love this! It sounded like you had a pretty amazing school there! :)

NiNa said...

Yes. I really enjoyed it! :)

lsnyder84 said...

Well I consider you my bestie and always my bestie!