Amber Road

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hawaii-Part 2






Off Base Activities

One of my favorite past times was to play pogs with my other friends in school. For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about, pogs are thin white paper coins looking things at the top of this post (see the picture above). My mom calls them milk caps. You can stack them together and the goal is to use a master pog (an heaver pog) and see how many pogs you can flip over from the stack by flicking it. I think I still have some of mine (I'll have to look around the house for it and see if I can find my set). You can trade different pogs like baseball cards with your friends. It quite intresting. At least it kept me off the streets (kidding).
Another object I like to play with was poi balls. Alot of hawaiian use poi balls when they dance to their hawaiian songs. You swing them back and forth infront, beside, and behind of your body. However, nobody told me that your supposed to have a good grip on the balls. Why you ask? So, you don't fling them on your roof and have no access to getting them down. No wonder my mom didn't buy me more. There would have been like 20 of them on our roof. Too bad she didn't let me light them on fire when I did my hawaiian dance. That would have been cool...er..maybe not.

Poi Balls+ Fire+ Me = House on fire
ya..I think not a good combo

I use to make Hawaiian lei. My mom put a quick end to that. You see, I left the needle out front on our porch. Carolyn decided to walk on the porch to check out my Hawaiian lei. Everything was fine until I lost my needle and Carolyn quickly found it in her foot. Lucky enough she had her shoes on and the needle didn't break her skin. Just her shoe.

Another activity I enjoyed playing was our local playground. The playground was literally in our backyard. When you step out of our back yard there was a row of hedges that separated a huge field and the playground was smack in the middle of it. It was also smack down in the middle of all the military houses. So, all the military kids came and played on it daily. There was no car parking lots. Just lots of lots of grass. It was alot of fun having running room and not having to worry about cars.



Fun Facts

We had like 30 pet geckos
Pineapples grow underground
Bananas grow upside down
Coconuts are extremely hard to break

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So enjoyed reading this? Did you get to eat fresh bananas? I have always wanted to try them fresh...though I might not want another banana from the store again! lol

NiNa said...

I think have at the Dole plantation in Hawaii. Sadly, I don't remember what it tastes like. :( I'm hoping to making another trip sometime with luke.